Lone Soldiers Program
Making Sure Lone Soldiers Always Feel at Home
Israel’s Lone Soldiers are those whose families live abroad and who chose to leave their countries of origin to serve the State of Israel. These soldiers know that as the Jewish State, Israel is their home and thus theirs to protect. Many choose to serve in combat positions, enduring grueling training, exercises, missions and operations, all to ensure it remains safe.
- Approximately 40% of Lone Soldiers who enlisted in the last three years joined combat units
- At any given time there is an average of 2,800 immigrant Lone Soldiers serving in the IDF
- 950 new Lone Soldiers join the army each year
FIDF’s Lone Soldiers Program supports IDF Lone Soldiers financially, socially and emotionally during their challenging military service. FIDF follows these soldiers through every step of the process, providing a vast array of assistance and ensuring they know they are truly never alone.
This includes the following:
During Army Service:
- A 24/7 call center to assist soldiers and parents in as many as five languages
- A Lone Soldiers Center where soldiers can visit at any time for assistance and social gatherings
- Shabbat and holiday meals
- Social network for soldiers, social events and educational opportunities
- Adoptive families
- Grants and financial assistance
- Flights to visit family in their countries of origin
In Preparation for Release:
- Academic scholarships for those who are eligible
- Career counseling
- Education and academic guidance
In 2013, FIDF helped over 2,500 soldiers during their service in the IDF.
"Most people don’t understand what it means to be a Lone Soldier.
Being a Lone Soldier means that one has made the decision to be far
from family and friends in order to support Israel – our country. Your
donation has made it possible for me to be with my family during the
holidays, something that has not happened for over 2 years. Thank you
from all of my heart."
- Ilana Frechtman, soldier in the Nachal Brigade
Flight Destination: Newark, NJ
"It has been my dream since I began in the army to see my family again
after almost 5 years and to see for the first time my 2 little sisters
who were born after I had moved to Israel."
- Daniel Schmidt, soldier in the Navy Corps
Flight Destination: Sao Paulo, Brazil